Sunday, June 12, 2005

Countdown

In less then 24 hours time we find out whether we're having an Arthur or a Martha. It's all a bit exciting :) I hope the baby is amenable to the gender identification process. In the last ultra-sound the doctor was getting a little impatient that the thumb sucking little critter wouldn't lie still :) .. hmm, I wonder if this is an indication of things to come???

Speaking of movement, the baby seems particularly active during the "Foo Fighters" new song, "Best of You". It was the first most consistent movement I had felt, and it took me a minute to figure out what was going on. When the song's tunes subsided, so did the baby's movements. To weird to be true 1/2 way through the pregnancy? I hear you! But then it happened again the next day, and true to form, the movement only lasted the duration of the song. I don't know what to say .. I am hoping it means that he/she likes the song .... of course if it made such movement during a "Nikki Webster" song I would have to say that the poor little thing was trying to claw it's way out to turn off the music:) .. So possibly a little to early to tell :)

Once a week Jo and I make a point of sitting down together and reading about the baby's development in the coming week. This is a nice time where we sit and "oooh" and "ahhh" and "that's soooo cute" together. It is all very sweet ... or so I thought!!!! On reflection, I am wondering if it's such a good idea for someone like myself with a "HR Giger" type imagination to be exposed to such information!!!

For example ... did you know that from about week 18 the foetus starts to grow hair all over. They have a name for it, it's called "lanugo" and of course it serves a useful purpose. All good so far right?

Nooooooooo!

It's not good!! This hair falls out sometime just before birth and where do you think it goes? It doesn't! It just hangs around until you give birth and comes out with the baby. So in actual fact you give birth to a fur ball and a baby. You can imagine what my imagination does with this information ... Remind me to shave my legs in the first stages of labour so there is no chance that the midwife will confuse the fur ball with our offspring .. ok?

No comments: