Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Monthly Doctors Visit

We're 4 1/2 months pregnant this week & looking it!! So far the pregnancy has gone reasonably well with very few of those pesky symptoms. Well, if you don't count those 3 months where I nearly passed out every time I exerted some energy, then everything has gone very well :) Then again you could ask Jo how she has perceived the last 4 1/2 months and get a different opinion ... so we won't ask her just yet :)

We had our monthly doctor’s appointment last week and got given the thumbs up. Apparently I have only put on 500g which was a surprise to both Jo and I as paras has a penchant for sweet things. I mean it's not usual for me to eat a chocolate eclair and a custard tart after a well balanced meal. For one that doesn’t like sweet foods at all I am enjoying the odd sugar rush :) Jo on the other is yet to be convinced, ice-cream and sharing rarely shared the same sentence in this house until recently ... still some convincing to go there me thinks :)

Another far more important perk of going to the doctors is that we get to hear the baby’s heartbeat. This is by far my favourite bit!!! I have to say that a month between visits early on in your pregnancy is a bit steep!!! What indication does a paranoid person have to rely on that everything is progressing in a text book fashion? How does one know for sure that that disappearing waistline is as a result of a growing baby and not a krispy kreme donut? You can imagine the state I had worked myself into by the time the doctor’s appointment came around :) Then there is Jo, I feel for her, as you should for having to put up with me over this last month :) I could see the weight lift off her shoulders as she saw my relief on hearing the babies heartbeat and intertwined with this relief is her own feelings about this child which I can't begin to articulate.

Next doctors (obs this time) visit is next Tuesday. At this time if the baby obliges we find out if paras is a boy or a girl. We are very excited about this, see -> WOOOHOOOO :) And yes Madeleine, you and Anne will be the first to know ... crikey!!

I should probably sign off for the evening. Jo is home from work and by the looks has had a hard day. A cup of tea is in order I think :)

p.s: upon popular request and depending on whether I have the nerve or not I may post a picture of my expanding girth in the near future.... hmmmm. Still some thinking to be done on this.

No comments: